WSU QB commits suicide at 21

SO very sad. We need a mental health initiative in this nation. We do.

BREAKING: Washington State Quarterback Dies at 21
Washington State quarterback Tyler Hilinski has been found dead in an apparent suicide, according to Pullman, Washington, police.

“Hilinski, 21, had just finished his redshirt sophomore season in Pullman, where he was the Cougars’ backup quarterback. He was a three-star recruit in the class of 2015, when the 247Sports Composite ranked him as the country’s No. 24 pro-style passer.

He developed as a player over the years. He took a redshirt in 2015, his first season on campus, then appeared in four games the next year and eight in 2017. He had just made his first career start in a Holiday Bowl loss to Michigan State, Dec. 28 in San Diego. He threw for 272 yards and two touchdowns that night and was likely to challenge for Washington State’s starting quarterback role in 2018.”

Head injury related?

Totally agreed.

The MSU defense was pretty tough on him :wink:

Seriously, I don’t know what it could have been. Seems odd for a kid about ready to get his big moment as the starter next year but I simply don’t know his situation. Maybe a breakup, mental illness, stressing news his grades might not let him be eligible for said big moment, could be anything

I try not to name drop but in Philly in Nov 2016 my wife and I went to see Lewis Black. She decided she wanted to get her ticket/playbill autographed as Mr. Black was kind enough to be signing after the show and taking pictures with fans. My wife, like I said was almost last and I was walking w her and after her Lewis Black got up and was just standing next to me and I told him I thought his part of the show on the shameful job we do on mental health in America was more than worth the ten minutes he talked about it, not making jokes but a serous discussion. We talked about mental health care and how back in the early 90’s I knew Michigan was the first state to sue to get out of obligations to those mentally ill and Gov John Engler simply kicked hundreds out of facilities and onto the streets.

I’m with my buddy Lewis on this

2 Likes

Yeah. Ronnie Raygun helped seal the deal. It’s shameful.

Isn’t insanity kind of subjective though? I’m pretty sure at one point they were even committing people for things like homosexuality and masturbation.

1 Like

There was a movie about it with Will Smith playing the doctor detailing the effects of concussions on football players which can lead to suicides. I wouldn’t be surprised if this was the case as I know other players have fallen to it.

I was reading tweets from students and staff that knew him, they all talked about how outgoing and gregarious he was and how shocking this has been for those that knew him. Made seem all the more mysterious and Richard Corey like. I hope he didn’t catch the ghey.

I believe that this is the movie that you were referring to. Coincidentally, no doubt, the movie came out just about the same time that the NFL was being sued about this very issue.:roll_eyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2GsZRTW6XE

That’s the one.

I know there’s a lot being put into the concussion issue as these players seem to share common traits including suicide.