Woman Hiker keeps a Journal of getting lost on the trail. 'When You Find My Body, Please Call My Husband'

https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/hiker-died-getting-lost-appalachian-131527480.html

No sense fetching a 20 buck used GPS off CL when yer going hiking in the fucking middle of nowhere

It’s the fucking Appalician Trail, not back country Alaska or Uzbekistan.

A ) Find a hill.
B ) Go downhill until you find water. Hint: it will be at the bottom of the hill.
C ) Follow the water downstream (that’s the direction the water is flowing) until you find a bridge / road / town.
D ) Ask for help / directions.

It’s neither rocket science nor running the triathlon.

Fixed it for you

That too.

On an extended hike like that, from Georgia to Maine, a GPS is definitely a must. I’m not sure it would have helped her out of this particular predicament. A GPS requires signalling from 4 sattelites and it appears she was unable to even get a cell signal at her location. I really don’t know enough about GPS to know if it works everywhere or uses the same sattelites as cell provisers, but she certainly should have taken one.

She obviously was not a seasoned enough hiker to be undertaking an AT hike of that magnitude. To have persished from starvation and exposure within 26 days also shows she had minimal outdoors survival skills. That time of year, July, in that area, she should have been able to procure adequate warmth and sustenance to endure much longer than that. She should have bailed when her companion bailed. The AT trail is nowhere for a 66 year-old women with little outdoors experience to be alone.

GPS and following natural landmarks to civilization are both great ideas and her failure to do either speaks volumes. Another obvious action that would have guranteed her survival would have been to light a small contained fire shortly after she realized she was hopelessly lost. She was never more than a few miles off the trail and there was a massive search effort underway a few days after she was reported missing. They knew her general location. The smoke from a fire would have allowed both ground and arial searchers to locate her quickly. In fact, if you are ever lost anywhere on forested public lands, just light a fire and the Fortestry Service will be in your ass in short order.

Cell is cell - shares nothing with gps

GPS is a far cry from cell

3 sats will do ya - there are plenty more then 3

in that area she would have locked up on 7 sats from power up in 30 seconds flat - rain or shine

1 Like

right Cells are land based antennae stuck up on towers, that cover a smallish area (not sure zactly but lets say a square mile)

Thanks. I should get one myself, especially if they can be had for so cheap. I do a lot of hunting, fishing and camping.

Craigslist always has a bunch fer cheap

I never go without it - it is fucking priceless - christ it tells ya the next turn in the road, and in a rainstorm at night in a new area no price can be put on it

2 Likes

Yeah, and as you know in a dense forest it is possible to get lost very quickly.

1 Like

That is why I always carry a sextant

1 Like

3 inch brass

no battteries

http://www.stanleylondon.com/sext-box.htm

Will that help ya find a Starbucks?

This is a solid brass reproduction of the famous Box Sextant,
invented in 1803 by instrument maker William Jones.
Although mainly used for terrestrial observation, it was also suitable
for small ships.
French sailor Jean Lancombe used a Box Sextant for his single-handed Atlantic crossing.

The Box Sextant measures 3 inches (7.7 cm) in diameter and weighs just over one pound. 
 Each sextant is stamped with a unique serial number and "Stanley London."  
 The Box Sextant has a brass cover that unthreads and rethreads onto the opposite side where it functions as a holder. 
 The sextant's thickness is only 1 5/8 inches (4 cm) with the cover installed. 
 When the cover is removed, the telescope can be extended and the larger knurled knob can be adjusted to align
 the images. 
 A magnifier assists in reading the inclination angle from a precision German Silver vernier scale. 
 The smaller knurled knob unscrews for use as a tool to adjust the horizon mirror. 
 The sextant also includes a removable moon filter.  
 The Box Sextant is meticulously crafted and is shipped with the optics properly aligned.  
 This beautiful reproduction of the Box Sextant has a single green moon filter on a swing-arm mount, and is 
 fully functional, although not intended for navigation.

I agree with The Lion. Just go downstream. There is no place east of the Mississippi that you couldn’t walk yourself out of within a day or two.

PS: GPS is bullshit cheating.

Put you in the middle of the fucking everglades and you ain’t walking out in a day or two - last I checked it was east of the Mississippi

so,

why the fuck don’t you get rid of every modern convenience then - the fucking gps shows you where to get supplies and sich

so,

thread to six

1 Like

25 years ago we never had GPS and we got along just fine, as we did for millennia. All you have to do is keep position of the sun and you’ll be fine.

Middle of fucking nowhere at night in a driving rainstorm and you will wish you had a gps - in heavy traffic in a strange area they are invaluable - not a time to go back to maps

Amazing her family was cool with her doing this…maybe she wanted to die.

AUGUSTA, Me. — She was afraid of being alone and prone to anxiety, a diminutive 66-year-old woman with a poor sense of direction, hiking the Appalachian Trail by herself, who wandered into terrain so wild, it is used for military training. She waited nearly a month in the Maine woods for help that never came.

1 Like