USS Doris Miller

No, this carrier isn’t named after any politicians, or Confederate traitors- this one’s named after one of the first heroes of WWII, who coincidentally is African American- making it the first carrier named after a black man. I love it.

Great article that means a little history citation.

2 Likes

making it the first carrier not only not named after a president<

Nimitz? Vinson? Stennis? These names of ACTIVE. Supercarriers mean anything to you?

How about past supercarriers: America, Independence, Enterprise, Ranger, Saratoga, Forrestal, Kitty Hawk, Constellation.

And that’s not even touching the long last of WW2 era oil-fired ships, dozens of them.

Boro, do you even military?

Geuax America CV66 Rules!

My father served in WW2 as a quartermaster officer, in Italy and in France, and got no medals for heroics. He explained the battle stars on his ETO campaign ribbon thusly: “Each star represents a fuel dump that got strafed out from under me.”

And he turned out to be a white collar guy in a town of 15K, where the schools were 18 or 20% Black and all the blacks lived in one part of town. And HIS father, who lived in the state capital, was racist to the bone to his dying day (ironically, as my recent research reveals him to have been 1/8 black himself.)

How Dad knew about Miller, I have no clue. But in 1958 or 59, when I talked to him about a student coalition quietly forming in my high school to push back against systemic school racism, one that included me, he told me all about Miller, as well as stories about other blacks he had served with.

Even so, there were no blacks in the local country club, nor even black caddies, and he played quite a bit of golf.

2 Likes

I don’t Navy.

:sweat_smile:

So you are spouting off on something you ADMIT you don’t know about.

This brings a lot of your past tr0alls into perspective.

Can you be respectable for ONE POST?
This was supposed to be a good hearted post.

:man_shrugging:

or nah

Take your pos troll outta here.

It’s not a pos troll if I can prove the thesis

Okay, boomer.

pos troll. I’m not a boomer.

1 Like

Okay, boomer…

^^^ confirmed liar, talking about things he knows nothing about

1 Like

Okay, boomer…

ZZZZzzzzzzz…