Today, I got the most interesting letter from Ted Cruz

Yes, THE Ted Cruz.

Your contribution of $45 to “Cruz for President”…will be immediately matched for double the impact…

A group of generous supporters recently joined up with our campaign…

they will match every contribution of $45 or more we receive in the next seven days…< (emphasis Cruz’.)

The problem with this is that it is illegal.

Each of these “generous contributors” is limited in how much they can contribute to a campaign (hint: such as “Cruz for President”) - $2700 per individual per election.

Now, individuals can give much larger amounts to PACs, (but again there limits), but here the Cruz Gang violates a different campaign law: campaigns are not allowed to coordinate with PACs, and if the campaign contribution is arranged to be matched with a contribution to a PAC, that is clearly “coordination”.

Either way, Cruz is advocating a violation of Federal election law.

Or there is a third possibility - that Cruz is simply running a scam. $2700 (the personal limit) divided by $45 (the amount Cruz asks for from each letter recipient) is a MAXIMUM of only 60 donors. I don’t know, but I suspect that Cruz mailed this fraud to more than 60 of us. (Or if I’m one of his 60 best prospects, he’s REALLY in deep trouble.)

Which would mean that the whole “matching contributors” business is pure fiction: Cruz lying about a phony benefit to promote his scam, and therefore constitutes mail fraud - yet another criminal act.

The clown (former prosecutor, right?) is either really ignorant of the law, or he just doesn’t give a rip that he’s violating them.

A, how’d you get on that list?

B, did you report him to the appropriate authorities?

C, what a fuckbuckle Cruz is.

Why doesn’t he just go back to Mexico?

1 Like

Maybe if Trump become prez, he’ll deport him.

Yes, I found that article later. It seems that word is spreading.

I’m actually feeling pretty smug that my analysis is so closely tracked to theirs.