Those who live in glass houses -- the grammar edition

No such thing as “deep-seeded”

Deep-seeded vs. deep-seated

Deep-seeded almost makes sense in a metaphorical way (though seeds sown too deeply won’t grow), but deep-seated is the term you’re looking for. The phrasal adjective (usually requiring a hyphen) simply indicates that something is seated (in the sense fixed firmly in place) deeply in something else. The OED defines it as having its seat far beneath the surface.1

This is a special thread for those who go on rants and actually call people vile names for their typos. When those people are actually using things grammatically incorrectly all the time.

You know who you are.

Trophy thread to me.

I’m your obsession. I OWN YOU.

It’s not “tongue and cheek” either. It’s “tongue in cheek” – a reference to poking your cheek with your tongue to keep from laughing.

Nah, you’re just stupid. You make these mistakes ALL THE TIME. I just never found the need to go on a rant about it and call you a cunt whenever you do it. Instead, I started a thread.

“Deport is a sociopath, bar none.” Again, nonsensical.

Issuist? LMAO.

You’re losing it.

You have a low IQ.

No, actually I don’t. It’s quite decent.

But you’re obsessed and that’s a win for me. It proves that you’re lashing out like mad.

Actually, I am just trying to point out to you that your high self-opinion may not be warranted. But I know you will never take a good look at yourself, so it IS a waste of my time.

I bet you say “I could care less.” Do you know that makes no sense?

I don’t care what you think, ma’am.

Holy smokes!

4 Likes

I’ve been really gassy today

1 Like

This thread is nerve wrecking.

Truth is that I have been experiencing some cognitive deficiencies in the last couple of years. Often. I go blank when thinking of words and only Spanish or, conversely English, words will come to mind. My partner has noticed it as well.

So, for important matters, I concentrate really hard. The boards aren’t that important. However, it’s a health issue and has nothing to do with my intelligence.

Anyone who believes I’m stupid is deluding themselves.

I get thousands of eggcorns in my student papers, some of them way better than the ones in that article. I should start posting them here.

“Die-a-rear” is great! I haven’t gotten that one before.

I said “for all intensive purposes” for years. Hell, I thought that’s what it was.

I always get papers that start with “In this day in age.”

Three errors right there. The word choice is wrong, it’s a cliche, and it’s about to set up a gross generalization, guaranteed.

“Irregardless” is enough to make me gnash my teeth.

You should not of said that.