MAD respect, that.

1 Like

How about that Jasper Williams rant?

Jasper needed to STFU

Here’s what you’ve all been waiting to hear
https://youtu.be/Ij8KpS-ab3U?t=8m21s

2 Likes

This is a beautiful thread.

Aretha was truly the queen of soul. My mother adored her. I know how you feel regarding her loss…I’m still mourning Prince’s death

1 Like

BREAKING NEWS: Peter Jackson has just optioned the rights to Aretha’s funeral and will make 3 movies about it and then probably two prequels.

1 Like

He was awesome too. I saw him in Detroit with my then girlfriend before the 1999 album. Cyndi was a giant fan of his early early stuff and bought tickets waaaay ahead of time. We were almost the only white people there but as you’d expect the black people were not all Dexter Lake Club, they felt it was cool white people dug this Prince guy.

I can still pop off that COOL, C-O-O-L hand sign

This was also the lowest key Diana Ross has ever been in her damn life. She was there a bit but the whole reason she’s not on that etherial plane of Detroit music like Aretha and Stevie and Marvin Gaye was the funeral of Florence Ballard who had been forced out/used too many pills/had a better voice than Diana Ross in a Barry Gordy World/take your pick. Florence Ballard then passed away and many in her camp blamed Miss Ross for the turmoil and nastiness that led to her both leaving and her drug issues. Diana Ross showed up at Ballard’s funeral in a limo…late. She was dressed over the top with feather boas so everyone HAD to notice and look at her. She was actually quietly booed and hissed and she walked right up the center aisle and sat in the very front row next to Ballard’s family.

Like Michigander Bob Seger once sang, Rock and Roll Never Forgets and neither did the city of Detroit.

2 Likes

Was Quincy at the Funeral? I never heard his name mentioned

He was a California guy wasn’t he?

I think so, but I think they worked together some, and in some interview not too long ago, he referred to Aretha as his Baby Sister.

Oh, OK, nice of him. Of course I was never a fan of the move to LA. It’s like somehow saying you’re moving the Philadelphia sound to Dallas