Paul Kantner your Surrealistic Pillow is waiting

Jefferson Airplane Guitarist Paul Kantner Dead at 74

Guitarist suffered multiple organ failure

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/jefferson-airplane-guitarist-paul-kantner-dead-at-74-20160128#ixzz3ybP3HrPu
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

1 Like

Jeez. Look what Lemmie started.

I love the Jefferson Starship.

“We built this city… We built this city… We built this city… oooooooonnnnnn Rock & Fukking Roll”

\m/ \m/

1 Like

man what an awful song

3 Likes

terrible

All time classic Topic :smile:

Rolling Stone voted it the worst song of the 80’s and Blender described it as the epitome of corporate sellout rock. A few years ago in an interview Grace Slick said she couldn’t agree more. They used top of the line drum kits, synthesizers, sound boards and mixers to come up with the absolute slickest candy assed pop tune they could… and then lobbied MTV to put it and the rest of their bubble gun shit in endless rotation. Once Kantner left the band her and Mickey Thomas decided they were tired of just getting by while fukk wits like Bananarama and The Human League were cashing million dollar checks. Mission accomplished.

1 Like

Dig this.

Come on The official video is brilliant. Cutting edge.

1 Like

Well of course. But consider this: Kantner was nowhere near the album. Starship in 1985, at least on this album, was Pete Sears, Donny Baldwin, Craig Chaquico, Peter Wolf and Grace. Sears is a Brit, Wolf is an Austrian…there is no Casady, no Kaukonen, no Kantner…etc.

The name of the album is a tipoff…Knee Deep in the Hoopla. The target was the synth-driven pop of Narada Michael Walden, as exemplified in Aretha’s big selling “Who’s Zoomin Who?” which also used the same Peter Wolf.

Corporate sellout pop is exactly what it was, and shame on Grace for bitching about it while the Muzak royalties continue to roll in. I’ll bet she’s pulling down easily $150-200K a year just off this one detestable album. Fuck her and her mouth.

Oh, she was all in alright and clearly trying to put together a nest egg as retirement was clearly approaching. Gracie wasn’t in the best physical shape as evidenced by the music videos I’ve seen from that era. She lasted for 3 or 4 of those highly successful Starship pop LP’s. Mickey Thomas finally decided he was tired of singing duets with her. He figured her name & face value was no longer paramount to the groups success, so he basically relegated her to the role of backup singer. She left shortly after that and Starship faded.

I will say, some of the Jefferson Starship’s early stuff wasn’t too bad. I always liked the tune “Ride the Tiger”. Of course this was the mid 70’s when they weren’t too far removed front the Airplane. I believe Papa John Creach was even in the band for this one.

My Fave Mickey Thomas moment was this pairing with Elvin…