OK, Everyone. Here's Ranked Choice Voting for Dummies

1 Like

And here’s an excellent read:

How Democrats Killed Their Populist Soul

In the 1970s, a new wave of post-Watergate liberals stopped fighting monopoly power. The result is an increasingly dangerous political system.

2 Likes

I talked to an Australian tonight about it and many of them hate it. He says it ends up being two party bullshit in the end.

Must be nice making a living spouting the same inane bullshit pundits have been spouting for the last century. Society is always going to be fukked up and if Hedges were in the Oval Office it would be every bit as fukked up… Probably moreso.

1 Like

Let’s just keep doing what we’re doing, then. Things should work out really well for everyone.

1 Like

No, by all means elect your Hayden’s, Brown’s and Garceti’s and we’ll see things change. Oh wait… we already did… and nothing changed.

Power corrupts. Face it. You could string together Sanders, Stein and Hedges for the next 24 years and you’d still be bitching about government and society… and probably insisting you knew all along they were corporatists and sell outs.

I don’t think it’s about corruption. I think it’s about people who mean well but when a system is so twisted or broken, and there are people within that system who benefit from it and don’t want it to change, it’s incredibly difficult to do anything but spin wheels.

We need to fucking fix the system. Ranked Choice Voting or some other system that allows for multiple parties, and NO MONEY IN POLITICS AT ALL, EVER. Reps make their wages, period, and the government funds elections. Period.

It takes a certain flawed kind of person to get involved politics in the first place. While they may be well intentioned and civically minded in the beginning, after a few terms they are going to get indoctrinated by the system and drunk with power. Show me a politician… any politician… and I’ll show you a seriously flawed person.

You seem very naive :slight_smile: some studies have been done that found most politicians are psychopaths and sociopaths. That’s the kind of people that want these jobs…

1 Like

Seriously man, the only reason I would ever want to even serve on the city council would be to pocket as much bribe and slush money as possible. You want a city contract or fast track Liquor license… a big fat envelope stuffed with cash will get my prompt attention.

Some, though admittedly very few, are altruistic souls who really have a desire to help people. We need more of them. If we got money out of politics, we COULD attract more of them, because the narcissistic, power mongering, money grubbers would go away.

I grew up in politics, surrounded by political activists and leaders. I’ve participated in several grassroots movements and have seen people go from outspoken community members to cabinet ministers. I can say the Huffington Post’s psycho-labelling doesn’t apply so much north of the 49th.

I will concede that the American versions are a lot more slick. In dealing with them, you feel more palpitable hunger for power. You also see more people who have been groomed for positions. That said, you’ll find many who are in to make a difference - at least to start with because it’s a tough job.

Yeah, because if you say “very few”, that makes it true.

There isn’t a lot of money in our politics so I can say it is possible, but the narcissism and power hunger doesn’t completely go away.

Huh?

I think you talk out your ass with your generalizations, assumptions and stereotypes as seen in your latest example above.

You told me a day or two ago that you know they’re all crooked and lying politicians, you’ve seen it firsthand… I guess it’s a nicer form of lying crooked politician sleazebags in Canada? Daddy was a lying politician aye? :slight_smile: At least you knew when to keep your mouth shut… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I said I’ve seen an example of crooked, lying shit. I saw a man who started off well intentioned turn into a lying sleaze bag to get elected. He got booted shamefully out of politics in the end BTW.

And no, Daddy wasn’t a sleazy, lying politician. Nice try :wink:

Maybe you need to calm down. For fuck’s sake.