NHL playoffs 2016

If you’re hoping for a Canadian team to leave with the cup, you’re gonna be disappointed… not one made postseason.

They might not be the only ones. We’re a matinee tomorrow at MSG of seeing the longest playoff streak in professional sports come to an end. Win and the Wings are in. If the tie Boston in points if each tie they’re in. Past that I don’t want to know.

pssst.

wanna hear something?

you won’t expect it from me

ending this streak wouldn’t be the worst thing. It’s become an April goddamn albatross.

let it end so we can get back to thinking we achieved something (yes WE in Detroit) when in fact it only buys us 5 or 6 more games. That might be great in Carolina or New Jersey but no, not good enough for a city with an international bridge to be named after only their third best player ever (LIdstrom Yzerman). We can’t keep wheezing across the fucking line and getting all hopped up over it.

But then you Deadwingers can’t say stuff like “My team’s playoff streak is older than your TEAM” to us Sharks fans. That’s GOTTA be pretty sweet to be able to lay out there.

Indeed.

We do have a backup however. Works everywhere but Montreal which is why this streak can end. Doesn’t look good for the newly groomed coach Blashill, especially with next year being the last year for Joe Louis Arena. I know Mr. Ilitich will want a top tier team that first year in his grand new hockey hall and will do what it takes to make that happen. Best owner in sports, honest to god.

I see what you’re saying. The Blues had a similar streak… I think the next longest and I was glad to see it finally end. Of course, that was back when just about everyone but the cellar dweller made the playoffs… and of course the Blues never made it to the promised land like the Wings.

Then again, you never know if a team can catch lightning in a bottle and get on a run in the playoffs… though that happens less in the NHL and I really couldn’t see this Wings squad going too far. As usual, the Blues are near the top of the regular season heap, but as usual, I won’t be holding my breath for a deep run. As it now stands they are looking at a 1st round matchup with the Hawks which rarely ends well. I fukking hate this new playoff system.

Last I checked a few days ago it looked like the Sharks were going to be facing the Ducks in the 1st round. That would be a hell of a series.

Not sure how much I’ll watch if the Wings don’t make it though I am really curious to see if Washington is who Denny Green thinks they are. Other than that the East is slop.

Yeah, but my Tiburones went up 3-0 in round 1 against the Kings a couple years ago and still lost the series. As good as the Sharks are in regular season, they are famous chokers.

Yeah, I remember that. It shocked the hell out of me. I think the Kings went on to win the Cup that year.

That they did

WHoa! Even though they are tied with NYI in points the Rags realize the Isles have a game in hand and are playing the averages that NYI will finish 1 or 2 points ahead of NYR.

Thus the Rangers are resting a LOT of key players vs the Wings today:

It doesn’t sound like the Boston Bruins are going to get much help from the New York Rangers on Saturday. The Bruins, Detroit Red Wings and Philadelphia Flyers all are jockeying for the Eastern Conference’s two remaining playoff spots. Detroit and Boston play their final games of the season Saturday, while Philadelphia plays Saturday and Sunday. For the Bruins to clinch the third spot in the Atlantic Division, they would need a win over the Ottawa Senators on Saturday paired with a Red Wings loss or shootout win. The bad news for the Bruins, however, is the Rangers — who already have a playoff spot clinched — plan on resting players Saturday. Some think the Blueshirts actually would benefit in terms of seeding and matchups should they lose to Detroit on Saturday. Key Rangers players like Mats Zuccarello, Ryan McDonagh, Viktor Stalberg and Dan Giardi all will sit for New York on Saturday. Additionally, backup goalie Antti Raanta will start in net with Henrik Lundqvist getting the day off.

The Bruins also can clinch a playoff berth with an overtime or shootout loss paired with a Red Wings overtime or shootout win or loss and the Flyers earning two or fewer points in their two games. It’s complicated, but basically, the Rangers aren’t doing the Bruins any favors.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2016/04/rangers-lineup-plans-for-red-wings-game-could-be-bad-news-for-bruins/

Really? This is even in the Sports sub-board, 6. Nobody forced you in here.

Yer a vexation to the spirit at times

:wink:

Better second period for the Wings. Wondered where that was in the first. Just get another goal. The Rangers are backing off and not getting into shooting lanes, ie cashing in pretty much. I know the B’s are lying down like cheap whores at home to Ottawa but never sleep on the fact they could come back even down 4-1.

Hey Hey, our playoff streak is older th…nah

1 Like

Vaya Con Dios Magic Man

Pavel Datsyuk will retire from the Red Wings after this playoff run and return to play a year of two in Russia. The Barry Sanders of hockey
https://youtu.be/BMU2-xLUjok

https://youtu.be/gAXQeW5u_RE

In 2002 as the team was heading towards the playoffs a team with hall of famers like Lidstrom, Robitaille, Hasek, Shanahan, Fedorov, Chelios, Igor Larionov et al it was Steve Yzerman and Brett Hull who went to the venerable Scotty Bowman and implored him, You have GOT to get more ice time for this Datsyuk rookie kid. He’s stunning in every aspect. Bowman listened, put Datsyuk on Hull’s line in the playoffs and Hull led the Wings with 10 goals in the playoffs and another cup.

1 Like

Sharks get the Kings.
Blues get the Blackhawks.
Red Wings get the Lightning.

I’m thinking the Wings have the best opportunity to advance.

oh, hurray, that worked out so well last time…

Lol.

I’m very curious about the nashville and Anaheim series. Nashville gets so much scoring from their defense, and in the playoffs those tipped point shots are king, they could pull the upset. If the Pred forwards can play the Ducks even somewhat even up front or limit the top line their defense can fire BB’s and they’re scary on the powerplay, another playoff decider.