Frankincense, better than yer Prozac

Burning the resin of a Boswellia tree as an incense has been a component in religious and cultural ceremony for millennia, for it is said that its aroma contributes to spiritual exaltation. Also known as frankincense and olibanum, Boswellia resin has been mentioned in numerous ancient texts including the old testament for its mystical capabilities and continues to have its place in some spiritual practices today. An international team of scientists including researchers from the Hebrew University in Jerusalem and Johns Hopkins University set out to understand how this age-old practice produces these mysterious psychoactive effects.

I’m going to try it, assuming I can even find any.

I think you can. High churches still use it, as far as I know.

I found this quickly through Google, but I imagine there are religious supply outfits that are cheaper.

Thanks, man. I will check it out and hopefully nab some. I’ll post results.

I wonder if you could free base it?

My usual Winter soap - just started a bar last week. Very manly though women like it too.

DM - One can buy many a version of oils and incense including the resin which is best, of course. I have several versions for use in the dark times. Copal is also very good for the same uses.

Hey - Spoon. Thanks for the cutting edge info. :laughing:

Here’s the stuff I’ve got. I used it in the balm I made, I want to get some myrrh to use in it too, my theory is that these oils help your body absorb and make use of the cannabinoids better.

I got it here…
http://www.bulkapothecary.com/

Their site says…

Botanical Name: Boswellia Serrata Plant Part: Resin Extraction Method: Steam Distilled Origin: India Color: Colorless to pale yellow clear liquid. Common Uses: The therapeutic properties of Frankincense Essential Oil include use as an antiseptic, astringent, carminative, digestive, diuretic, sedative, tonic and expectorant. Frankincense is said to help rejuvenate the aging skin, and is effective with bacterial and fungal infections. The anti-inflammatory property of this oil is reputed to be an effective treatment for joint pain and arthritis. Frankincense can also be used as an insect repellent and is also widely used in cosmetics and soap manufacturing. It has a grounding aroma, and often used in meditation. Consistency: Medium Note: Base Strength of Aroma: Medium Aromatic Scent: Frankincense Essential Oil has a rich woody, earthy scent with a deeply mysterious nuance. Cautions: Frankincense Essential Oil is non-toxic, non-irritant and non-sensitizing. Avoid use during pregnancy.

I guess you can vaporize these essential oils, I heard a guy saying online today that vaporizing lavender oil is really good for lung problems.

Billdo - the vaporisers are used in Aromatherapy because you have a pure oil only rather than an oil mixed with smoke etc. Not to say the others have no value. Myrrh btw is expensive stuff.

Not sure what you’re saying man. Any vaporizer that vapes instead of combusts should work fine, if I had an electric nail where I could set the temps on my rig I would try vaping some of the frankincense on the nail… The guy that swore by the lavender oil said it will leave a lavender taste in your vaporizer.

I though I was clear - in therapy, vaporizers are used, vaporized therapeutic grade oils, to eliminate negative effects of carriers such as smoke particulates in the lungs etc. Sorry for the confusion.

Yeah, I said vaporize in my OP not smoke :stuck_out_tongue:

You wrote “I guess you can…” I was just taking the guesswork out of that for you. :laughing:

Have a good day, dog.

I gotcha, actually I think a lot of the buzz about smoking weed is an aromatherapy type thing, especially after one gets beyond the THC high which doesn’t effect me like it does most.

There’s a university study going on now using both frankincense and myrrh to fight cancer. Results aren’t due until sometime in 2016. In this case though, they are taken orally. Apparently, both have been used internally for centuries… particularly in Chinese herbal medicine. I’ll try them first as incense as they always did have a calming effect on me during mass. I may also follow-up and try them as herbal supplements.

So I decided to give the frankincense and myrrh a try. Not the essential oil or incense, I’m going to add both to my supplement regimen.