Dan Hicks, you scared yourself to death

Dan Hicks (12/9/41 - 2/6/16)

Had a good life, some success, did it his way and played what he wanted to play. Gone today, liver cancer. R.I.P.

Dan had some Hot Licks in his day.

Good grief. I mean, they are checking out like someone found bedbugs in the rock n’ roll hotel.

1 Like

I really don’t see it as a trend or anything. I think it’s just the internet age and the plethora of info we get. With the exception of David Bowie and maybe Maurice Wilson, I think most of these artist’s death would have gone largely unnoticed in the old MSM days. Even a guy like Paul Kantner. The only way I would have known he died is if I saw it in something like Rolling Stone or heard a FM DJ mention it.

Speaking of dudes dying.

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/12662519_1713924205495446_4507622479015892360_n.jpg?oh=251a8c59c2ad9ae285f30ad3837da8b2&oe=57324A2C

Yeah, but the thing is a whole slew of them have died in the last few weeks. All at once, they’re going.

Well, I guess even if you take a longer view of it.we ARE experiencing a bit of a bump. If you just look at the Big Five SFO bands of the mid to late sixties (Airplane, Quicksilver, Dead, Charlatans and Big Brother) I would roughly estimate that about half of the aggregate original members are dead now. In the case of the Charlatans it was originally Hunter, Hicks, Wilhelm, Olsen and Ferguson. They reunited in Virginia City last summer, minus Ferguson who died in 1979. But Wilhelm is on oxygen and has some scary cancer stuff as well, so his days are probably numbered.

Lotus, bear in mind that all three remaining guys are over seventy now (Dan was 74) and the curve accelerates as time goes on. Wait and see.