And it sits on the nightstand

Pythons were made the old fashioned way, by hand, when as one gun writer put it, “technology was relatively expensive and labor was comparatively cheap.” Parts were fitted by hand by skilled machinists who could take the time to tweak and polish the fifty-seven parts that made up a Colt Python until it ran like a watch. The Python may have been the last mass-produced handgun built with a nod to Old World craftsmanship.

Colt Pythons were notoriously accurate right out of the box, and were prized by gun owners for their accuracy. Gun authority Chuck Hawks states that his Python came from the factory with a paper target featuring a, “3/4-inch, 6 shot group fired by hand at 25 yards” using factory ammunition.

3 Likes

Respect for the .357 Mag which dates back to 1936.

The Snake, well ya can’t knock it but some do in the comments of yer article, for good reason. The S&W model 27 was arguably less likely to go off time, and the action was near butter.

However, by the time of the Vietnam era wheelguns were proving themselves to be dinosaurs and that has never really changed. If I wanted a revolver for my nightstand it would be a Charter Bulldog in .44 Special, and if I wanted a revolver for Practical Pistol or target, I’d look for a pre-1978 Dan Wesson model 15-2. I’d be in good company.

All right, this thread has been up for over two hours, and NOT A SINGLE “DIRTY HARRY” COMMENT!!

Slackers.

Do I have to do everything myself?