7.1 magnitude quake makes buildings collapse in Mexico

https://www.yahoo.com/news/major-earthquake-shakes-mexico-city-182057047.html

Holy fuck!

Those poor people :frowning:

The video on the article was crazy.

Shocking! Holy shit!

Fuuuuuuuuuuck…

On the date of the 1985 Mexico City quake, no less.

That means in 4 years next month we will get a biggie on the anniversary of the Loma Prieta (SF bay area) quake?

I hope not!!

Oh, me too. Then LA would get leveled again five years after us.

I don’t mean to make his about Trump, but COME ON, DONNY. WAKE THE FUCK UP!

I heard a guy on NPR say they heard the alarm and got out of their building just ahead of the quake.

I was just thinking that when I was watching the news tonight. “We don’t get that early warning thing, because CONS think it’s a waste.”

3 Likes

One minute could save many thousands of lives in LA or the Bay Area.

The system exists because a 1985 earthquake in Mexico City left more than 5,000 people dead (possibly as many as 30,000), and traumatized millions of Mexicans who witnessed pancaked hospitals, collapsed homes and dead bodies strewn in the city’s rubble. An early warning system was commissioned by Mexico City’s government consisting of 12 seismic sensors along the coast. It was installed by 1991, and has since expanded to more than 100 sensors along the Mexican Pacific coast. Government radio channels send out alerts and sirens after sensors detect menacing trembling, and residents usually get about a minute or two of warning before the seismic waves arrive.

I finally have an answer to “does it really make that much of a difference”. I’m sorry Mexico had to prove it :frowning:

1 Like